Pages

Sunday 6 July 2014

Sunday Sessions #2 - Glastonbury Special

I'm back with a bigger playlist today, so have a read and maybe a listen and let me know what you thought of Glastonbury.

Last weekend was the famous festival at Worthy farm, Glastonbury; and while it was a great mud fest, it didn't dampen the spirits of the festival goers and performers.

One artist who I was looking forward to watching (alas, only the BBC coverage, I am yet to attend Glastonbury!) was Paul Heaton. The former Housemartins and Beautiful South star has reunited with former band mate Jacqui Abbott for a new album. I was really impressed with their acoustic set on Mark Radcliffe's coverage of the festival where they performed their hit 'Moulding Of A Fool' and Dolly Parton's 'Islands In The Stream'.

Everyone is loving the fact that they are reunited, the 'Perfect 10' singers haven't disappointed with their latest release.

I also caught Lily Allen's return to Glastonbury, and her performance was brilliant, her latest album 'Sheezus' is one of my favourite releases from this year. It has quite a hip-hop vibe, and she's a great hook writer. I was glad to hear her performance featured old songs as well as new. 'As Long As I Got You' is one of my favourites.

The big talk of the festival was the debut of Dolly Parton. She played the 'unofficial headline' slot of 5pm on the pyramid stage, and apparently she brought the biggest audience ever to the stage as she played.

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding her performance and whether she was singing live or not. She has said herself here that her voice is real, as well as her heart.

Personally it did look as if she was miming at the beginning, but I've never seen her perform live before, I think we all underestimated how good she is and was going to play. As cliche as it sounds 'I will always love' Dolly! Her new album 'Blue Smoke' is brilliant, a favourite of mine is the title track.

Livvy x

0 comments:

Post a Comment